Font:     A- A A+

Select language:

Basilica Minor

The Post-Cistercian Monastery and Palace Complex contains one of the most valuable monuments of the Diocese of Gliwice - the 1303 Gothic-Baroque Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Minor Basilica) since1995 - the Diocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Rudy. Currently, efforts are made to enter the building onto the UNESCO World Heritage list. The Church, alonside with the monastery, experienced many changes over seven centuries of its history. Originally built in the Gothic style, three aisles were erected on the Latin cross plan, and cross-ribbed vaults were used. The Church did not have the tower then. One entered the church through an ogival Romanesque portal.

In the seventeenth century, a new sacristy was built and in the years 1723-1726 the Chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary was added. Later on, the interior of the temple was covered with rich, baroque stuccowork. The baroque Chapel of Maria with the miraculous image of Our Lady of Rudy is of great artistic value. Inside there are beautiful wall paintings and stuccowork. Figures of the Princes of Opole and Ratibor: Ladislaus and Casimir, and the stucco statues of the archangels: Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and the Guardian Angel, carved by John Schubert of Lipník upon Beczawa. Above the windows there are coats of arms – that of the founder Abbot Joseph II on the left side and on the right – the Cistercian.

In connection with the reconstruction carried out after the fire caused by the Soviet army, (which destroyed all the main structural elements of the church) it was decided to restore the church in its original gothic style. Further restoration work was carried out in the years 1989 -1992. Mary's Chapel was renewed and the fresco in the dome of the Holy Cross Chapel. The Chapel contains two epitaph plates – a wooden one that of the Prince Ladislaus from 1680 and a stone one with a relief depicting Abbot Andrew Emanuel Pospel. Note the sculptures by John Melchior Österreich depicting Aaron, Moses, John the Evangelist (St. Joseph) and the Risen Christ

Not everyone knows that the church houses relics of St. Valentine and relics of the Holy Cross. The porch, under which there is  the crypt of the family of Ratibor Princes of Hohenlohe-Schilillingsfürst one can watch a beautiful nineteenth century cast-iron sarcophagus of Prince Victor and his wife. The statues of four saints, placed on a two-storey facade of the building (St. Michael, St. Florian, St. Benedict and St. Bernard) take care of the Church.

Basilica Minor
Basilica Minor
The Chapel of Our Lady
The Chapel of Our Lady
Basilica Minor (the interior)
Basilica Minor (the interior)

Project co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund within Innovative Economy Programme

All rights reserved - Info Kiosk Rudy © 2011
General Contractor: PRB ERBUD

Design and performance:
Thank you for your cooperation: CREDITS